Headin' to Milan Italy starting in October to be a teaching assistant for English classes at a trade school.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Buerocracy battle

Everyone says that living in another country makes you appreciate your own. Well, the reason everyone says that is because it is true. Case in point: italian buerocracy.

I had to do some paperwork at the local police station to get a piece of paper called 'permesso di soggiorno' (permit to stay). Let me set the scene of this police station. First off, the section where you apply is the foreigners office. It is always full of people trying to get different paperwork to live, work, be a refuge, etc in Italy. The people that work there are never happy. Smiling seems to be outlawed. The waiting room is not heated. Now, the process:

What I had to do was wake up early in the morning and go stand in line around 7 in the morning to get a ticket with a number. Then, after getting this number I was told to come back at 2 in the afternoon. Well done Italy. This makes no sense, and no one can explain it. Then, when you come back at 2 with all of the documents needed (or at least the documents you think you need, which includes various photocopies, bank statements, proof of insurance, photos, a special sticker you have to buy that costs around $20 and whatever lse they feel like throwing at you) you wait again. Once they finally start (which is at least 2:15 or later) you wait for your number to be called. The first time I applied I had to wait about an hour and a half. Then I presented my documents and application to the employee. Of course, not everything was in order and how could it be? I checked the checklist online, thought I had everything. First of all, I'm told i have to have some document that declares I am living at a certain address so they tell me go to the station nearest the house. Also, my insurance card doesnt cut it because it does not have an expiration date (which I explained was because as long as my mother works we hvae insurance, but they didnt care). So I am told to go to the nearest police station where I live and find other insurance means. Long story short, I go to the police station and they pretend they don't know what I am talking about and tell me to go to a different station. I go back to the first station where I applied and this time they tell me I have to go with my landlady and I cant do it myself. Thanks for the help the first time, I think. When she finally has free time we go together, fill out some forms, wait in line and get a stamp on a piece of paper. Etc, etc, etc. I don't want you to live through my buerocratic experience so I will just tell you that in the end I got the stupid piece of paper, alhtough I will have to reapply to try to stay for the full 6 months of the program.

There is a video online, I think by bruno Borzetto or something, that shows the differences between Italy and the rest of the european union. I'll post a link later because it is exaclt how it is. Anyways, I feel I have only one a small battle and that the bigger war will undoubtedly continue...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home